CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Being Held Accountable

Here lately I have been hearing how important it is to have an accountability partner in our Christian life. Last week, one of our ministers preached on the benefits of having an accountability partner and one of the Christian radio stations that I listen to talked about the importance of having one, too. This has really gotten my attention to where I am constantly thinking about it.

I must admit, at the present time, I do not have an accountability partner (other than my husband and apparently I am not supposed to count him as my accountability partner for many different reasons). I do recognize the importance of having one, though. I've never really prayed to God about this either. I do think that it's time and so I have started praying specifically that God would put this person in my path and I would know without a doubt who she is.

As I read more materials to help me understand even more about obtaining an accountability partner, below is a list of qualities that an accountability partner should have;

Confidentiality, helping others overcome struggles, encouraging, lovingly confrontational, makes effort to help and pray, focused, looking out for the best for the other person, avoids lecturing, non-judgmental, grace-giver and tough love.

As many would agree, a good accountability partner is hard to find.

I must say that God must be moving me to a different (yet higher) level. I say this because I have been that person who would quickly say that I didn’t need an accountability partner. That is up until now that I understand the importance and also the benefits of having one.

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10
“ Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up.”

5 comments:

April said...

I really enjoyed this post, Daphine! I'd probably have to say my accountability partner is my husband. He's pretty good about covering all the bases you listed. Thank you so much for sharing this "food for thought". :)

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful post, Daphine! I really enjoy the inspirational messages. Coming to this blog really inspires me.

Tonya

Jessica and Matt said...

Girl, you make me laugh that you say you used to not see the need for an accountability partner. So funny. I know I need one, but I'm not ready for the commitment... Mentally, I'm ready, but practically, I just have no time! (Can you tell I'm about to lose it?)

Good luck to you finding the perfect person. And you and your partner can pray for me to get to that place soon. :)

Anonymous said...

This one subject is really changing and transforming our family. I am so greatful for this series at church right now. It has been instrumental in Gary reaching out and finally undertanding the importance of surrounding yourself with Godly influence on a very personal and intimate level. I've alwasys knows it is important, I just don't always do it. But I'm so glad God spoke to me Sunday night and led me to you for confession. When you speak it out loud to a sister in Christ, it really does chang things. Anyway, keep praying for the right person to share your heart with and God will honor your request.

Lily said...

Hey :)
Thanks for visiting my blog, thought I'd return the favour :)

I utterly agree, an accountability partner is hugely, hugely valuable. I've been without one for a few years now and you can tell! I've had a few people that have stepped into the role from time to time and have been brilliant but the depth you gain from one person over the course of years...I hope you find the right person and the challenges really uplift you
:)